FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 11, 2013
Contact: Laura Tierney
Email: [email protected]
Office: +1 202.489.3436
Clean Energy Business Leaders Head to Warsaw
Washington, DC—The Business Council for Sustainable Energy (BCSE) will be in Warsaw, Poland November 11 – 22a for the 19th Conference of the Parties (COP)/ 9th Meeting of the Parties under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
Leading a delegation of clean energy business leaders, the BCSE will press for continued progress by governments to advance a 2015 international climate change agreement that will incentivize additional national policies and leverage existing market forces to achieve critical greenhouse gas emissions reductions. In Warsaw, the BCSE calls for Parties to keep this momentum moving and to set a foundation that recognizes and includes private sector expertise, finance and technology solutions in the design of a new global framework.
The BCSE calls for decisions to made at COP-19 that will move the world closer to a new climate agreement in 2015
- Continue with the successful launch of the Climate Technology Center & Network (CTC&N) as well as continued build out of the Green Climate Fund as these are key institutions that will accelerate deployment of existing clean energy technologies.
- Work to strengthen intellectual property rights as this plays a critical role in advancing clean energy technology
- Recognize the critical role innovation plays in developing the next generation of climate solution technologies and the importance of ensuring enabling environments to facilitate that innovation.
- Activate partnerships with the private sector for adaptation to assist local policy-makers, who are increasingly challenged by extreme weather events and a changing climate.•Build upon efforts to price carbon in markets around the world, ensure fundability and clear accounting practices, and include new market mechanisms.
- Utilize private sector expertise in reporting, verifying and monitoring actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to build transparency and strengthen trust as negotiations begin for a new regime.
Delegation and Contacts
The BCSE delegation includes clean energy business leaders from ten companies and organizations. For media inquiries or to schedule a meeting with members of the BCSE delegation, please contact Laura Tierney ([email protected]). Visit www.bcse.org and follow the BCSE on Twitter (@BCSECleanEnergy) for updates on the Council’s policy statements, publications, events, and insights. Additionally, please see the BCSE COP19 Factsheet for more information.
An Integrated Approach to Mitigation, Adaptation and Resilience in the Built Environment Event held as part of the Business and Industry (BINGO) Day.
Friday, November 15, 16:45 - 18:15, Room Torun, National Stadium (Level 2, Zone B3)
Co-hosted: U.S. Green Building CounciL
Driving Motor Vehicle Emission Reductions: Transportation Policy Approaches in California, China, and Europe
Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 8:00 - 9:45, IETA Pavilion (Level -2)
Managing Climate Risks in a Changing Energy Landscape
Tuesday, November 19, 11:00 - 12:00, US Center in the National Stadium (Level 2, Zone D1)
Featuring: Jonathan Pershing, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Climate and Technology Policy, US Department of Energy
Download the full press release .